Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Blueprint

"You define your own life. Don't let other people write your script."
Oprah Winfrey

This simple yet powerful life principle, one of Oprah's 20 Things I Know for Sure, has become the central focus to my blueprint for an authentic, balanced life. When we free ourselves from the expectations and limits that others place on our individualism, we discover the peace and self confidence that comes from being our unique selves. I am learning that there is no magic "secret" or special formula in finding my place in this world. A very wise person once told me that the secret is that there is no secret!


I've been following several friend's blogs for the past few months. Now that I've finally devoted the time to making it happen, I've decided to join the blogosphere. The title, Southern Reconstruction, has many meanings but I chose it mainly because it represents the stage my life currently occupies. On this path to authentic living, my life has been a complete constuction zone. Tearing down the excess and decay that doesn't belong, and slowly replacing it with sustainable building blocks that will withstand what this life has in store. I've had many amazing consultants and carpenters that have been there throughout this process and will continue to contribute to my life's projects, but there can only be one architect.


Through this blog, I hope to share some of the tools, building materials, and aesthetics that help to complete my "blueprint." You'll see books, people, music, movies, art, cities, movements, and thoughts that are of significance to me. Blogging seems to be a new form of art. I hope that I create a piece that is the most authentic version of myself that I can. Nonetheless, it's all a part of my blueprint...and you are now entering my construction site.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful brantley! i look forward to spending time in your world oox phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on the blog!

    ReplyDelete